Thursday 24 May 2012

Olympic Athlete Interview: Caroline Calvé

Caro Calvé on the slopes (Pictures by Olivier Krauss)

Caro Calvé is truly an inspiration. A latecomer to snowboarding, she has taken the sport by storm over the past four years, as a top ten finisher in three World Championships, a two-season Canadian Champion, and a competitor at the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver. Her breathtaking career highlight came in December of last year, when she became the first Canadian female to take home a snowboarding World Cup. A native of Aylmer, Quebec, Caro is beautiful, smart, extremely articulate, and best of all, full of great advice for those of us who want to get moving - we couldn't ask for a better role model!  

BMP: What achievements are you most proud of?

CC: I didn’t take up snowboarding until I was 22, and nine years later I was competing at the Olympics. Before that, I was a skier, but I was very intimidated by competition. I’m proud that I took that leap, even though snowboarding was a very young sport. I am also very proud of winning the World Cup, as it is something that had never been done by a Canadian woman in that discipline.

BMP: Do you think Canada’s top athletes have anything in common with the general population who want to get fit?

CC: Athletes are all normal people! The reason we achieve what we do is that we are determined, the same as someone who, for example, earns a doctorate degree. It’s just that our goals are very physical. But it’s just like achieving anything else – I’m a strong believer that if you want something badly enough, you can get it.

 BMP: Are there days where you don’t feel like training? In those moments, what motivates you/what advice would you give to those who can’t seem to get motivated?

CC: Believe me, there are lots of times when I don’t feel like training, especially in the activities that are harder for me, like sprinting. What I’ve realized though, is that I’m most satisfied and proud when I do the things I hate doing – when I push myself harder it creates a feeling of confidence and self-assurance. I think it’s really important to challenge yourself and to try to achieve that. The harder you push, the more you get out of it. My advice is – when it’s hard and you don’t feel like it, stop looking at the big picture and think about the small steps. When you don’t feel like going for a run, just get dressed. Then go outside. Then start walking. Focus on the process.

BMP: What are your top tips for those who want to lead a more active lifestyle but don’t know where to start?

CC: My advice would be to start with things that are easy to do near where you live. Go for a long walk, then try speed walking. Concentrate on small, obtainable goals that are convenient. Also, involve people around you – that’s such a great motivator.

BMP: What’s your favourite healthy snack?

CC: I really like to eat fruits, and they fill me up and offer the vitamins I need. I also love to bake, so I’ll try to find healthier versions of the recipes I love. I make a great banana cake that has very little sugar and fat – with yogurt, bio six-grain flour, dark chocolate and nuts. 

BMP: Many people are concerned that our schoolchildren are not as active as they should be – if you could implement one initiative in Canadian schools what would it be?

Caro Calvé (Picture by Claude Brazeau)
I think kids should have a minimum of one hour a day allocated to exercise. Give them play time and they will normally run around of their own accord.

BMP: What for you is the number one benefit to leading an active life?

CC: It keeps me sane! The benefits for me are much more than physical. It clears my mind, gives me energy, and makes me more confident, self-assured and proud of myself.


BMP: What’s your favourite ‘active health’ activity to do on a day off from training?

I have a dog, so I’m often out walking. I also like mountain biking – I don’t see it as training because it’s fun. Mainly, I love doing things with the people I love to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment